Thursday, March 19, 2009

My Approach



How could you ever punch that? (what's up ISO 1600?)

Rob here (credit: B. Miller):



So my approach, since that's what both of you wrote and I didn't, will be to show up with some pictures that I've already taken to help convince the guys to let me move forward with a photo story. I'm working out how (if) I should do photo releases. I know I should, but that's another hurdle I'm nervous about. I guess I need to overcome that pretty soon.

This past weekend 4 out of 6 fighters became Alabama Golden Gloves champions. There's one in particular who I want to focus on, though I want to include the whole team in part of the story. They really do function as a unit in a lot of ways. But I think it will be easier (and therefore better, for me) to keep things acute. When I was in NY I took a writing workshop at Media Bistro and they taught that a magazine story is about ONE thing. While that obviously has it's limits, and doesn't account for some really good story telling, I think it's still a good rule to follow, especially at first. So that will be my approach. Probably have some establishing shots of the gym, coach, other fighters. Then close in on the one and try to tell his story and what boxing (and this ministry) has done for him.

Like I said, I don't expect to incorporate audio directly into the essay, though I hope to record some for my "commentary track" that I want to create.

Bob,
I used to go to that church and while I don't have a relationship with them anymore, I think the pastor and his wife would be a good contact. You may also want to get in touch with Dr. Abrams, the human sexuality professor at Samford. He's a therapist in town and I know for a fact that his wife as given birth at least once, maybe twice, at their home. I seem to remember him having a midwife at one of the panel discussions he set up for the class. I would try to contact him and see who he can connect you with. I think he'd be all about that and he would know people on all sides of the issue.

S.Y.B.O.

rob

No comments: