Thursday, March 19, 2009

um...whoops. i give anyone permission to punch me (just not in the face...or, in the mid-lower bodily region...or, well...let's just say in the arm)
ok so my thoughts for my story. talked with cary briefly, getting very stoked. Allison has already begun researching this from a public health vantage point and she and I have talked several times about collaborating on this story for a stronger impact. her degree is all about approaching issues that affect the general health and well-being of the public in ways that can result in effective policy change, and the idea of her getting on board for this really gets me blood pumping (isn't she amazing?).
i leave for kentucky today for about a week and a half. as soon as I get back in town my plan is to schedule a meeting with the director of Impact Alabama with the goal of discussing his experience in trying to affect policy change and gain some wisdom from a seasoned political advocate for social rights issues. next will be to get in touch with two of the birthing houses on the alabama border (Allison found the information for these for me). Also, I found out that the wife of the pastor of the Downtown church is the leader of the organization that pushes for legalizing home-birth and midwifery every year. I also plan to contact her with the intention of meeting an expectant family that intends to travel to one of said birthing houses. Eventually, the idea is to document that process.
I think at our next meeting we should bring pencil and paper and visually map out the "3 circles" we discussed regarding how the stories relate to each other and the what extent we cover local, national and international ideas.
I'm very excited as of late to being moving forward. Perhaps it has something to do with this snazzy camera I just got, but mostly I think I'm just excited to be shooting for myself again. It's been a long time... Let's remember it's not because of publications that we take pictures, but because we have a fascination with the world around us, and, perhaps, an interest in improving it.  

No comments: